An estimated sixty percent of cats and fifty-six percent of dogs in the US are overweight or obese, according to Association for Pet Obesity Prevention (APOP). At Alta Vista, we offer effective nutritional advice to help you keep your pet’s weight under control.
We know how much your love your pet, and feeding them yummy treats is just one of the ways you show affection. But sometimes good intentions can lead to an overweight pet. If you have questions about your pet’s weight or nutrition, come meet the Alta Vista pet experts and get effective nutritional counseling.
We’ll work closely with you to develop a nutritional program that meets the specific health and lifestyle needs of your pet. Our counseling sessions focus on the following topics:
- Overall weight—weighing your pet regularly is important to keep track of significant weight gains or losses. Our vets will also conduct a physical exam and bloodwork testing to rule out any diseases that could be causing weight gain/loss
- Special diets—we’ll have a candid discussion about how much your pet eats and how often they eat. A diet plan may be necessary to reduce the number of calories in order to maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise—you’ve heard it before, exercise can help shed unwanted pounds. Increasing your pet’s activity and choosing healthy food alternatives goes a long way toward improving their overall wellbeing and keeping them healthy year-round
Alta Vista Animal Hospital also provides behavioral counseling for pets. We can help with:
- Obedience and reinforcement training
- Anxiety or aggression problems
- Senior pets—behavioral changes are part of the aging process, but our vets can help determine if your pet’s behavior issues are due to an underlying medical condition
If you are experiencing behavioral problems with your pet or you’re interested in a nutritional counseling session, give us a call or schedule an appointment today.